Duration : 5 hours
Advice to clients : Bring your camera and wear comfortable shoes.
During the period of communism the army has build around 1.000.000 bunkers throughout Albania (cement built trenches used as machine gun bases to protect the country from invasions from the other side of the boarders). Most of these bunkers can be found in areas that are close to the borders with neighboring countries. In 2004, a team of national painters changed the looks of these bunkers, by painting and decorating them. This was done for the event of the Miss Universe beauty contest, held in Albania at the time.
During this tour, you will be taken by bus through one of these areas which is filled with bunkers. The ride through the countryside takes about one hour. At the end of the exciting ride, you will arrive at the village Lukova, where you can get a taste of the traditional Albanian village life. Most of the paths in this village are made of stones that are still in good condition.
After the walking tour of the village, you will take a walk in the surrounding countryside to see some of these, now colorful, bunkers from up close. The total walking time will be approx 2 hours and will take you through a beautiful green slightly hilly landscape.
At the end of the walking tour, you will have a break at a local village coffee shop.
00:00 Departure from Saranda on coach.
01:00 Arrival to Lukova village & start of walking tour.
03:00 End of walking tour & break at coffee shop.
04:00 Departure for Saranda.
05:00 Arrival back at Saranda.
• The road to the village Lukova is picturesque, offering coast and country views, yet slightly curvy, with max bus speed up to 50 km/hour.
• Lukova is a traditional Mediterranean village with typical architecture. There are many natural and man made walking trails inside and around the village. Walking is of medium level, partly up and some down hill, mostly on stone paths and dirt paths.
• The snacks will be prepared by a local village family.
• Comfortable shoes are recommended.
• This tour is not recommended for people with walking difficulties